WHV registration in Canada: follow the step-by-step tutorial!

You don't know what the WHP is? Go to our article: The WHP in Canada, everything you need to know.

Now that you know what the WHP is, here are the steps to follow step by step for your registration in the pool and be, perhaps, part of the lucky ones to live a unique experience in Canada.

Part 1: The WHV in Canada, the registration tutorial

If you are convinced by the WHP and you want to register in the immigration pool, you are at the right place! In this first part, we will detail the steps to follow for your registration in the WHP pool in Canada.

Step 1 of the WHV Canada registration: create your account on CIC (Immigration Canada)

MyCIC is the single online interface to register for the International Experience Canada (IEC) program pools. You can easily create an account by clicking on " Log in with a CGC "and then clicking on " Register ".

The CGC Key is the first secure step in creating an account. If you already have a MyCIC account, simply log in after clicking on : " Sign in with a CléGC ".


After this step, you will need to complete a number of personal details to create your account (email address, security questions, personal information...). Once completed, you will be able to start filling out your EIC profile. Remember your password and username, they will allow you to log in to your account the next time you visit.


If you ever encounter bugs or any other anomalies while browsing, feel free to delete your cookies/cache from your browser or return via a private browsing page. This tip will normally be able to help you get through all the steps without stress 🙂

Step 2 of the WHP Canada registration process: completing your EIC profile

This step essentially determines your eligibility for the IEC program. You will be submitting your first application to join a Canadian immigration pool. Click on the first option at the bottom of the page " Apply to come to Canada ":


First, you will be asked for your personal reference code . In the section "I do not have a personal reference code",select "International Experience Canada".


You are then asked to answer a series of questions to check whether you are eligible to apply. Here is some further guidance on some of them.


Answer no to this question if your passport was issued in mainland France or Corsica. If your passport was issued in an overseas territory, you will be asked an additional question.


This is the country in which you have a permanent residence address. If you are a French exchange student in a foreign country, your permanent residence is France.


If you are doing a WHV or JP, you should answer no to this question. If you are planning to do a Co-op placement, answer yes to this question.


If you do not have a job offer yet, you can answer no to the first question.

For your information, you must have a job offer to qualify for the Young Professionals pool. For a WHP, having a job offer or not will not affect your application.

Therefore, if you wish to be considered for the Young Professional category, answer yes to the first question.

If you have answered all the questions correctly, the next page shows you that you are eligible for the WHV:


Step 3: Registration in the WHV Canada pool

During this last step, you will fill in the information necessary for your registration in the WHP Canada pool.

The EIC profile consists of four sections. You must complete them to proceed to the next step.

You can check the status of each heading in the "Status" column.

Some information is pre-filled, so these boxes will be grayed out. They have been filled in automatically based on your answers when you registered for the EIC program. If any of this information is incorrect, you must delete your application and reapply.

For your information: You can leave your profile and come back to it later, the information entered is saved automatically. However, please note that after 60 days, you will have to start all over again.


Below you will find additional guidance to help you answer some of the questions.

If you still have difficulties filling out the forms, we recommend that you take a look at the immigration website.


This category is especially important for people who are accompanied. Within the framework of a WHP, it will be possible to attach his/her partner to his/her work permit under certain conditions. These are detailed here.

Common-law status means that you have been living with your partner for at least one year with no break of more than three months.


In this section, fill in the exact information as written on your passport. If your passport has expired you will not be able to complete your application.

If your passport expires in the next few months, you must renew it quickly. If not, the work permit that will be provided to you will be for the duration of your passport. We therefore advise you to wait until your new passport arrives before completing your registration in the pools.

If you received your passport after you received an invitation to apply, you may contact IRCC to inform them of this change.


This is the last step to complete before you enter the pool. Depending on the answers you provide, you may be eligible for more than one category in the CIS program.

We advise you to select only one category, the one that suits you best.

Indeed, if you are French, you have more chances to be selected for a Young Professional than for a WHP. If you do not have a job offer and you have been selected for a Young Professional, you will not be able to continue the process afterwards. It is therefore useless to apply without a valid job offer.

Once you have completed all the categories, you can click on "Continue". You will then be redirected to a solemn declaration with electronic signature. Take the time to read it, it explains what you are committing to!


Congratulations, you have completed the registration stage of the WHP pool 👍

All you have to do now is wait to receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) 🤞

While waiting for the invitation, you can anticipate the next step and gather some documents that may be requested by immigration.

A police certificate will be required if you have spent more than six months in a foreign country (the digital version is sufficient).

You have just been drawn? Continue the tutorial with the procedure once you have been drawn.

Did you like this article? Don't hesitate to share it
on social networks 👍


More articles for you 👇

The best cafés to work in Montreal

The best cafés to work in Montreal

In recent years, telecommuting has become a widespread professional activity. And while Maplr has superb premises in the heart of downtown, on Place des Arts, it's just as pleasant to be able to vary the pleasures of telecommuting to the four...

PVT Canada 2024: what's new

PVT Canada 2024: what's new

Is the Canada 2024 WHP in your sights? New measures are regularly announced to access it: quotas, restrictions / easing of measures, etc. ? We regularly update this article to bring you the latest information...

Sullivan's story: moving to Canada with his family

Sullivan's story: moving to Canada with his family

A new life in Canada for Sullivan and his family!Expatriation to Canada as a family: Sullivan's first-hand account! He settled in Montreal in August 2022, accompanied by his wife and two daughters. As a DevOps specialist, he talks about his adventure with...